[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Mad SCO Disease

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 30 04:48:11 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Mullen <pem at nellump.net> writes:

Russell> Well, for one, if I threaten someone with a firearm, even to
Russell> "protect" myself, I increase the chances that someone is
Russell> going to shoot at *me* because I have made myself seem like a
Russell> threat to *them*.

Russell> What it boils down to is that human behavior occurs in an
Russell> interacting system.  What I do affects what other people do.
Russell> I feel safer when I act in a way that makes everyone around
Russell> me feel safer.

Paul> I think the general idea (and one I feel fairly certain most gun
Paul> owners would agree with) is that you shouldn't be drawing your
Paul> weapon unless someone has already presented themselves as a
Paul> credible threat to your immediate safety, leaving you without
Paul> recourse. If you're already in a bad spot, there's no sense in
Paul> quibbling about whether or not you'll make the aggressor even
Paul> *more* of a threat.

I think it is reasonable to inquire whether gun-toters alter their
behavior knowing that they are toting.  There is an old Johnny Cash
cautionary song called "Don't take your guns to town".  For general
edification, here are the lyrics:

   A young cowboy named Billy Joe grew restless on the farm
   A boy filled with wonderlust who really meant no harm
   He changed his clothes and shined his boots
   And combed his dark hair down
   And his mother cried as he walked out

   [Chorus]
   Don't take your guns to town son
   Leave your guns at home Bill
   Don't take your guns to town

   He laughed and kissed his mom
   And said your Billy Joe's a man
   I can shoot as quick and straight as anybody can
   But I wouldn't shoot without a cause
   I'd gun nobody down
   But she cried again as he rode away

   [Chorus]
   Don't take your guns to town son
   Leave your guns at home Bill
   Don't take your guns to town

   He sang a song as on he rode
   His guns hung at his hips
   He rode into a cattle town
   A smile upon his lips
   He stopped and walked into a bar
   And laid his money down
   But his mother's words echoed again

   [Chorus]
   Don't take your guns to town son
   Leave your guns at home Bill
   Don't take your guns to town

   He drank his first strong liquor then to calm his shaking hand
   And tried to tell himself he had become a man
   A dusty cowpoke at his side began to laugh him down
   And he heard again his mothers words

   [Chorus]
   Don't take your guns to town son
   Leave your guns at home Bill