[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Mad SCO Disease

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Jun 30 08:30:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 01:12 -0700, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> It's perfectly reasonable to kill someone over a few dollars?  That's what
> you're writing, you know.  You're telling me that it's perfectly
> reasonable to kill someone rather than give them a little bit of money.

Yup... it seems reasonable to me.  Although, I would rephrase it a bit;
it is reasonable to kill somebody rather than allow them to violently
take anything of mine.

> And you don't defend yourself with a gun, you defend yourself with body
> armor.  A gun is an offensive weapon.  Saying that you're just defending
> yourself when you wield a gun is like saying you're protecting children by
> locking them in cages.  It's not defensive, but an offensive action that
> has potentially defensive effects.

defend v : be on the defensive; act against an attack

It seems to me shooting somebody who is attacking me is very much an act
against an attack... wouldn't you agree?

> I refuse to swallow your assertion that shooting a gun at a human being is
> a defensive action.  It's offensive all the way.

I think what makes something offensive is the non-reactionary nature of
it.  Something defensive is reactionary to something offensive... so
unless you pull out your gun and start firing it at people without
cause, I don't think it's being offensive, but rather defensive.

> > > Again, threatening violence is very effective.  It's used by brutal
> > > dictatorships the world over.
> >
> > To be perfectly correct, it's used by *all* political governments the
> > world over.
>
> That's what I wrote, isn't it?

No, you wrote brutal dictatorships.  I wonder, are Monaco and The
Vatican brutal dictatorships in your mind?  What about Japan?
Switzerland?

> The use of violence is unjustifiable.

The use of violence very much can be justifiable.

> How is incarceration not violence?

Violence v. : To assault; to injure

Tell me how it is violence, please.  Even if it were violence, it is
justifiable violence.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.