[PLUG-TALK] Electrical hacking: Touch-lamps

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed May 19 04:20:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Galen Seitz wrote:
> Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:
> > The outlet adapter, however, goes between the power cord and the wall
> > and has NO conductor to attach to a metal part of the lamp.  But it
> > still freakin' works.  How the hell's that?!?
> >
> Not sure.  I would guess that it is detecting the tiny leakage current
> when you touch the lamp.

How's that work?  The metal parts of the lamp don't touch the conductive
wires.  In fact, I tested it on a lamp that has a metal frame holding the
shade and no other obviously metal parts (one of those ikea-esque hanging
paper cylinder lanterns).

It totally weirded me out.

> I haven't looked inside one of these, so I don't know how hard it would
> be to modify.  Are you wanting to power something other than an
> incandescent or halogen lamp?

No.  As a matter of fact, I want to use it on a string of Christmas tree
lights and a trio of halogen lights.

> A quick google search brought up this:
> http://www.eztone.com/lighting-touch-control.htm
>
> The Christmas tree touch control appears to meet your requirements.  I
> don't know that you need to pay $20 for something like this.  I'd look
> around for similar products with lower prices.

That's EXACTLY what I want... but I don't want to spend $20.  Too bad they
don't have them at Fred Meyer (where I got the outlet adapter for
free^H^H^H^H $9.95.

I'll keep looking.

J.
--