[PLUG-TALK] P4 and the damned power supply.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat May 29 02:51:04 UTC 2004

That should be a band.

Anyway, I am putting this P4 together for someone... simple thing, should
be.  Integrated stuff on the board, P4 3.0GHz, stick o' ram, GeForce2 AGP
card.  That's about it.

I plug the stuff together and it doesn't power up.  This case and power
supply were used on this fellow's former P3, but the power supply says
250W P4 12v Power Supply.  It's got the fancy P4 connector (labelled ATX1
on the motherboard).

Anyway, when I DISCONNECT the P4 power connector, the thing will power on
and fans will whir, but it won't boot.  Without the P4 connector on the
mainbord, it does nothing.

Before I tell this guy his power supply is underpowered (which is the only
thing I can think of), is there something else I should do/check?

Would an underpowered PS cause this?

I disconnected everything but the video, ram, and processor.

Any clues helpful.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin