[PLUG-TALK] P4 and the damned power supply.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat May 29 05:47:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Russell Senior wrote:
> Er, why plug-talk?

Well, it's not going to be a unix or unix-like machine, so it's off-topic.

> Maybe (to test) a different video card (maybe a PCI).

Heh... I just made him buy an AGP card... not because I tried the PCI, but
because everything else was brand new, I figured the better performance
would mean something.  No skin of his nose, though.

> For my father's computer, we ended up going through about a power
> supply, and 3 motherboards before we figured out that we needed to
> upgrade the BIOS. With its on-board video, it worked.  When we plugged
> in a AGP video card, it wouldn't boot... no video, CPU fan spins, no
> other signs of life.  Sounds *exactly* like what you are describing.

Nope... I've never seen the CPU fan spin on this one.  The only fan that
spins os the power supply fan and only when the P4 power connector is
disconnected.

> Eventually, Intel released a BIOS that worked, but the associated notes
> gave no clue.

I can't check bios revision until it boots somehow.  I will try different
video, though.

> The other problem I had was a bad CPU ... but I got another unpopulated
> motherboard out of the deal (sigh).

We'll see if the CPU works... what a pain.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net