[PLUG-TALK] Kerry on the $87 billion (was: body armor)

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat May 29 08:10:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Chuck Mize wrote:
> That's good information but unfortunately it won't mean anything to
> anybody who is actually still supporting Bush's presidency. Anybody
> entrenched enough in their right-wing wackoism to think that he deserves
> another four years in office isn't going to be swayed by minor things
> like the truth...

Insults aside, I think you're dead right.  There's a certain minority of
the population (I'd say around 20%) that are just going to support
whatever the Republican Party says.  What with the actual make-up of that
minority and the voter turn-out we usually see, that' amounts to about 40%
of the actual vote and closer to 45-48% of the most rigid "likely voters"
category used by pollsters.  (That's why the poll run in the Tribune
listed Francesconi as way out in front with Potter and Posey tied for
second and Busse way, way back at fourth when the actual results were
Potter, Francesconi, Busse.)

Anyway, the best thing we can do as opponents to that minority (and I
oppose their means at least as much as their methods, if that makes sense
-- I mean to say that I hate that they aren't honest with themselves as
much as I hate their agenda, though I also believe the two go
hand-in-hand) is further underscore the fact that they ARE a minority.
Bringing out more voters that will vote for non-Republicans is a good step
for sure.  Also, we should support media that doesn't attempt to be
"objective" (and thus weight absurd or hateful ideas equally against
sensible or loving ones).

It'll take a hell of a lot more than the threat of four more years of Bush
to get me to vote for John Kerry, but he's not going to be mobilizing any
opposition to the power structure anytime soon anyway.

Any any,
J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin