[PLUG-TALK] I don't like a certain change on plug...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Nov 8 09:31:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 01:08, Don Buchholz wrote:
> Darkhorse wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 11:25, Don Buchholz wrote:
> >
> >>Your "To:" line says it all ... this is exactly what PLUG-TALK is
> >>for -- and it's where the Monica billboard should've been posted.
> >>Posting that to the main list was just plain stupid.

> > You're not very generous calling the Monica post stupid, but then I
> > guess I'm the only person who considers it impolite to call someone
> > else's views stupid.  Should this list really be called
> > plug-denigrater, plug-atheist, plug-fascist, or
> > plug-politically-correct?
> >

> No, the posting itself wasn't stupid.  I liked it -- and forwarded
> the graphic onto many correspondents (both Democrat and Republican).
> I also voted against Bush -- I simply didn't think I could afford
> four more years of his fiscal irresponsibility.  (I still don't, but
> the choice has been made.)
>
> It was the act of posting said graphic to the *main* list that was
> stupid.  For Heaven's sake -- what part of that posting had anything
> to do with Linux?
>
> Like I said, if I was "list-god", you wouldn't be the only poster
> I'd yank (and let re-subscribe again, of course).  It simply boggles
> my mind how many folks think putting "OT" at the start of a subject
> line makes things "OK" ...
>
> <rant=ON>
> Look folks -- if you're gonna put "OT" on the subject line, why don't
> y'all do us a favor, show some courtesy, and simply insert the five
> character string "-talk" in the address on the "To:" line.  It's not
> that difficult.
> <rant=OFF>

Well that's not a bad rant.  I don't consider Bush fiscally
irresponsible though.  Bush inherited a recession, he didn't
create one.  The stock market shut down which is a very rare
event.  Considering what happened, that was clearly necessary.

People are assuming that Bush caused this huge loss of good
jobs, but it's ridiculous to judge Bush based on the abnormal
bubble that came before him.  People also shouldn't assume
that Clinton created that bubble considering how long it can
take for a president's economic policies to actually have
an impact.

The fact that paying jobs are going away is
largely due to people needing more education to have a decent
job and the quality of educational tanking.  There are a lot
of excessively liberal people in education and they are in my
opinion abusing students eggregiously with their "educated"
agendas.  In many cases there isn't enough teaching, but there
will be a lot of politicking.  Greater power needs to be
placed in the hands of the non degreed student.  One
empowering thing is testing.  Students often hate tests,
but even doing poorly on them can work as a tool for a
struggling student to get to help.  Our society as a whole
needs to try and balance the politics in post secondary
institutions so that there is greater focus on learning
and supporting real diversity.  Shoving lesbian/gay couples
should be treated as married couples down peoples' throats
is not promoting a tolerant environment, nor is discriminating
against clearly religious students as being members of
anti science anti progress establishments.  I have witnesses
both of these abuses many times at PCC/PSU and now here on
plug-talk and plug.  It's a shame.