[PLUG-TALK] Re: Was I don't like a certain change on plug gone schools...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Nov 11 18:37:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 09:55, AthlonRob wrote:

> > AthlonRob> ... but God forbid you point out how horribly fucked up the
> > AthlonRob> entire school system and its administrators are...
> >
> > Can you be more specific?
>
> Certainly....
>
> 1)  Teachers and administrators rarely have any real-world experience
> and are generally quite immature.  This immaturity does nothing but
> propagate their pupils' bad behavior.
>
> 2)  Resources are being wasted in schools.  With a finite amount of
> money available to schools, it is time for schools to start trying to
> spend their money wisely.  Prioritize.  Fund in level of importance:
> Reading, writing, mathematics, science, history on the first tier.  If
> those can be funded (and right now, they aren't fully funded), go ahead
> and tack on music and art.  If you're able to fund all that, start
> thinking about school sports programs.
>
> 3)  School sports are sucking money out of schools.  In large schools
> today, sports breed an elitist atmosphere where a select few are, in
> their own minds, elevated to a level above most others.  The argument
> that sports help build teamwork among students is a joke - how many
> students are on the teams and how many in the entire school?  In small
> schools, sports are completely gutting the budget.
>
> FWIW, I participated in varsity sports all four years I went to high
> school.
>
> --
> Rob                                |  If not safe,
>    Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.

There are connections between fine arts and higher mathematics.  Math
in it's purest form is fine art.  A lot of students have trouble with
fractions, music involves a lot of fractions.  I agree that sports
are questionably being purusued today.  Indeed there are parents who
put them above academics.  We have a lot of local control potential
with Bush as president considering he isn't out to create a large
educational bureacracy.  One way to approach overemphasis
on sports is to stand out as someone who strongly emphasizes
something else.  We have a lot of bias in the sciences and I
have felt for a long time that there need to be more politically
neutral and religiously friendly math and science teachers.
Schools need to help students develop the kind of character
that will allow them to work in any kind of environment,
this includes encouraging the use of clean language.
Parents, not schools, are primarily responsible for the
religious, educational, etc. upbringing of their children.