Was [PLUG-TALK] I don't like a certain change on plug...

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Nov 12 22:05:29 UTC 2004

AthlonRob wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 21:32 -0800, Russ Johnson wrote:
>

>>Yeah, but then you lose a lot of tax money for schools, and federal
>>money for roads and all sorts of other things.
>>

>But the rest of Oregon is generally pretty conservative - we'd be happy
>without the money Portland brings the stats.  There'd be *far* less need
>for things like welfare or other social services... we don't want.

Oh the need would still be there. Probably at a higher percentage. I.e.
higher percentage of people working in Portland Metro than say, Roseburg
or Medford. And I know Eugene is a haven of welfare sucking people. I
grew up there.

>>If Portland was put in Washington, Oregon would lose 2/3rd of it's
>>population.
>>

>That much?  Oh well... :-)

And with fewer people, you have less people to pay the taxes to support
the roads that are there, and almost the same amount of roads to
support. Which means higher taxes to keep the same services. Add to that
the higher percentage of welfare people, and the non-Portland part of
Oregon doesn't look so good.

Either way, it's a moot point because Washington is still on the other
side of the big river...

Russ