[PLUG-TALK] Re: Col Co.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Sat Nov 13 00:10:02 UTC 2004

Darkhorse wrote:

>A phone line in Scappoose is $13/month and for long distance service so
>that your local area includes more than just Scappoose, you're talking
>another $12/month on top of the $13.  The big city doesn't pay for
>telephone service in Scappoose, the residents here do.  The $13
>is non negotiable.  There are no toll lines, there's no way around
>paying at least $13/month fora phone line.  So don't lecture me on how
>you supposedly pay for the service out here.

Take an economics class.

The cost of providing phone service to a metro area it less, per phone
line.

On top of that, the federal government mandated an equal service tax
that takes some money from everyone, and gives it to the areas without
enough population to support the phones on their own. Small towns
receive the money. Big towns lose it.

If the phone companies didn't have the service to small towns subsidized
by the big towns, then the small towns wouldn't have phone service.

Oh.. and $13? I can't get a line from Verizon for less than $36.

Why do I pay 3 times as much as you do?

Russ