Was [PLUG-TALK] I don't like a certain change on plug...

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sat Nov 13 03:44:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 14:05 -0800, Russ Johnson wrote:
> Oh the need would still be there. Probably at a higher percentage. I.e.
> higher percentage of people working in Portland Metro than say, Roseburg
> or Medford. And I know Eugene is a haven of welfare sucking people. I
> grew up there.

Why do you think we'd need these social services?  Because there are
people collecting welfare out here now doesn't mean they *need* welfare
or we *need* to give it to them.

I think it would vanish pretty quickly... they'd be forced to either...
*ghasp* ... get a job or move out of state.  Either would be fine with
me.

When the people left to make the decisions don't like the idea of
providing social services, social services will decrease.

> And with fewer people, you have less people to pay the taxes to support
> the roads that are there, and almost the same amount of roads to
> support. Which means higher taxes to keep the same services. Add to that
> the higher percentage of welfare people, and the non-Portland part of
> Oregon doesn't look so good.

Why do you believe there's a higher percentage of welfare losers outside
of Portland than inside Portland?  It always seemed to me urban areas
bred such crap, not rural areas.

Either way, those on welfare now would find their cash pot all dried up.

Yes, we'd have to pay more per individual to support the roads and other
services.  But, we'd have fewer services.  Government would shrink
drastically.

You seem to believe that just because people outside of Portland are
living off the gov't now, they'd continue living off the gov't without
Portland...

> Either way, it's a moot point because Washington is still on the other
> side of the big river...

So?

Look at Michigan.  Geographic obstacles like large bodies of water don't
always mean state borders...

Wouldn't you guys be happier as Washintonians, anyway?

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.