Was [PLUG-TALK] I don't like a certain change on plug...

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Sat Nov 13 06:59:23 UTC 2004

AthlonRob wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 14:05 -0800, Russ Johnson wrote:
>

>>Oh the need would still be there. Probably at a higher percentage. I.e.
>>higher percentage of people working in Portland Metro than say, Roseburg
>>or Medford. And I know Eugene is a haven of welfare sucking people. I
>>grew up there.
>>

>Why do you think we'd need these social services?  Because there are
>people collecting welfare out here now doesn't mean they *need* welfare
>or we *need* to give it to them.
>
>I think it would vanish pretty quickly... they'd be forced to either...
>*ghasp* ... get a job or move out of state.  Either would be fine with
>me.
>
>When the people left to make the decisions don't like the idea of
>providing social services, social services will decrease.

Well, when it comes right down to it, I'm one of those that feel a hand
UP is ok, a hand OUT is wrong.

Assuming you would keep everything outside the Portland metro area, I
wouldn't expect much of a change. You'd still have quite a constituancy
of liberal bleeding hearts. Also, those on the dole usually vote to keep
there dole. Welfare begats welfare.

>Why do you believe there's a higher percentage of welfare losers outside
>of Portland than inside Portland?  It always seemed to me urban areas
>bred such crap, not rural areas.

Because I lived in Eugene for 35 years. I've seen that area, and I've
visited several other areas. You'd essentially have to cut off the I-5
corridor to have a chance. But now, Bend is growing, and the welfare
contingent there is growing too.

>Either way, those on welfare now would find their cash pot all dried up.

Only if you can get a vote to pass.

>You seem to believe that just because people outside of Portland are
>living off the gov't now, they'd continue living off the gov't without
>Portland...

I also know how the democrats keep the dole going.

>So?
>
>Look at Michigan.  Geographic obstacles like large bodies of water don't
>always mean state borders...
>
>Wouldn't you guys be happier as Washintonians, anyway?

No. I like Oregon.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #18 (Collect all 24)
"The sum of the parts of the whole is due a portion of the overall sum of the portion of the parts of the individual percentage" - Unknown