Was [PLUG-TALK] I don't like a certain change on plug...

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sat Nov 13 07:13:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 22:59 -0800, Russ Johnson wrote:
> AthlonRob wrote:
> >When the people left to make the decisions don't like the idea of
> >providing social services, social services will decrease.
> >
> Well, when it comes right down to it, I'm one of those that feel a hand
> UP is ok, a hand OUT is wrong.

The issue today is so much is just a hand OUT....

> Assuming you would keep everything outside the Portland metro area, I
> wouldn't expect much of a change. You'd still have quite a constituancy
> of liberal bleeding hearts. Also, those on the dole usually vote to keep
> there dole. Welfare begats welfare.

A vast majority of Portland leans to the left, though... while the
state, as a whole, is about 50/50.  It would stand to reason, then, that
the rest of the state much lean to the right.

A vast minority are on welfare.

> >Why do you believe there's a higher percentage of welfare losers outside
> >of Portland than inside Portland?  It always seemed to me urban areas
> >bred such crap, not rural areas.
> >
> Because I lived in Eugene for 35 years. I've seen that area, and I've
> visited several other areas. You'd essentially have to cut off the I-5
> corridor to have a chance. But now, Bend is growing, and the welfare
> contingent there is growing too.

1)  Eugene isn't most of non-Portland-metro-Oregon.
2)  Again, a vast minority are on welfare, it would be easy to cut them
off without the Portland lefties having any say.

Somebody should be able to find the welfare statistics... not tonight..
maybe this weekend...

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.