[PLUG-TALK] Re: Misc.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Oct 5 03:47:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 18:51 -0700, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > > Actions have consequences... 'tis a fact of life.
> >
> > And why shouldn't we do everything we can to mitigate those consequences
> > and make behavior less dangerous?
>
> If by that you mean "use protection" ... I agree.

That decreases risk, but doesn't do anything to mitigate the consequences.

We should do EVERYTHING we can, not just ONE THING.

> To have unprotected sex at a time in your life when you're not ready to
> raise a child is just *stupid* and I think you should be forced to deal
> with the nine months of consequences that can result from that.

There's WAY MORE than nine months of consequences.  Also, the CHILD will
suffer those consequences.  And if the child doesn't develop into a great
parent, then the grandchild (should there be one or more) will also suffer
the consequences.

> After the nine months are up, put the child up for adoption; there are a
> lot of good families out there who want to adopt children.

I'm sorry, Rob, but that's just plain ignorance.  I mean, what you wrote
is TRUE in the most narrow sense.  There are probably great families
waiting to adopt children.  But a person doesn't just give a child up for
adoption and have no further consequences... and an adopted child does not
just grow up the same way a child raised by biological parents would.

Again, we should do EVERYTHING we can to mitigate the negative
consequences of people's actions.  That's the only path to improving the
quality of life for all living things.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin