[PLUG-TALK] LCD Displays - TV vs Computer

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Thu Oct 14 21:02:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:21:57AM -0700, Mike Witt wrote:

> Can someone explain to me the difference between an LCD computer
> monitor and a similar looking TV display?  I'm curious why I can't
> shell out the money for a single nice big flat monitor and use it
> for both a TV and computer display.

As far as the LCD panel technology goes, I don't think there's any
difference (beyond size). The only real difference is that the TV has
a radio to receive and decode television signals, while the simple
display usually only has an interface for connecting to an external
source.

You can certainly buy a combination LCD television/monitor that is a
stand-alone television, and can be plugged into your computer. You
could also just buy a nice LCD display and install a TV tuner in your
computer. I'm not sure one if one would be much cheaper than the other
(assuming equal display size).

Paul