[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Streaming Video on Linux

Michael Robinson robinsom at robinson-west.com
Sat Sep 4 15:33:00 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 15:01, Russell Senior wrote:

> Galen> A recent study has shown that the danger of genetic problems
> Galen> for offspring of cousins is much less than originally thought.
> Galen> The US is somewhat alone in having laws against cousin
> Galen> marriage.
>
> Galen> http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/04/columns/fl.grossman.incest.04.09/
>
> And of course, quite a few states do not outlaw first-cousin marriage,
> Texas being an example.  In fact the person who was my best friend
> when I was 6 years old, a Texan, did marry his first cousin.  Hell,
> when I was 10 years old *I* wanted to marry my first cousin.  She was
> 10 years older than me and quite the package.

Hmm, perhaps you viewed her as an object instead of as a person.
Society as a whole can say relationships are only about having a good
time, or people can rise above that.  I doubt you wanted to marry a
cousin at 10 the way you may have wanted to marry someone else after
13.  After all, almost every little kid says he/she wants to marry
someone.

Not outlawing something isn't promoting it the way they did in
Multnomah County with callous disregard for dissenting opinion
and the not yet offered opinion of the state supreme court.  I
don't appreciate pressure from a lobby that it is discrimination
to oppose something I don't believe in.  I support a marriage
amendment to protect marriage because there is clearly no
alternative.  The gay lobby has shown that it has no regard
for dissenting opinion and that the decisions on gay and
lesbian marriages are to be made by the supporters of
that lobby only.  This is a divisive issue because that's the
approach the gay/lesbian lobby has chosen attempting to not
sway, but conquer public opinion.  I believe our country is
stronger than any minority lobby, no matter how well funded
it is.  Those who scream human farming, abortion on demand,
and gay marriage are cowards.  The Roman Empire allowed gay
marriage, it fell shortly after with serious problems
developing in the Roman Legions as a result.  If the only
way to oppose gay marriage is with a good shotgun, then
I'll be cleaning mine shortly.