[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Streaming Video on Linux

Michael Robinson robinsom at robinson-west.com
Sat Sep 4 17:17:40 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 16:17, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Michael Robinson wrote:
> > Not outlawing something isn't promoting it the way they did in Multnomah
> > County with callous disregard for dissenting opinion and the not yet
> > offered opinion of the state supreme court.
>
> I don't think it's callous to stop discriminating as soon as you are made
> aware of the offense.  In fact, it shows unusual sensitivity.

Saying no to gay and lesbian marriages is no more discrimination than
saying no to a brother and sister getting married.  Is the marriage
of a man and woman inferior to the marriage of a woman and a woman
or a man and a man?  I say no, a deeply held conviction, not
discrimination.  Government should not change marriage, this is
a religious institution as much as it's a civil one.  Society is
not benefited by an excessive expansion of the definition of
discrimination.  Encouraging gay and lesbian marriages is discrimination
against those couples seeking it.  Approving homosexual marriage
infers that a same sex couple can find what a man, woman couple
can in marriage, a very cruel lie.  In fact, retention is lower
among gay and lesbian couples than it is among heterosexuals.
What holds gay and lesbian couples together?  Not the possibility
of children through purely natural means between the two of them.
We are not asexual beings, sorry.  A gay or lesbian couple will
either have to adopt or use someone outside the relationship.  The
alternative is to amass worldly goods together through partnerships
and two person leases.  What some couples want though is a piece
of paper that says married opening the possibility
of divorce.  The threat of divorce would make it harder to leave
your same sex partner.  Gay and lesbian couples are much wiser to
live as brothers and sisters than to even consider husband and wife
( or should I say either: husband and husband or wife and wife ).
Gay marriage is only the latest thing as the divorce crisis
in this country has gotten worse.  Gay and lesbian marriage is
about power and control, not love and fidelity.