[PLUG-TALK] Virus storm

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Sep 12 15:01:18 PDT 2004

John Secrest writes:
>  The dorms in Oregon don't open until this week, so it is
>  a bit early to think that the virus storm did not materialize.

May I refresh your memory of years past, those of us not school connected
would see 100-200 virus-spawned messages per hour in late August and
early September, every year.  I assumed it was due to clueless kids and
vacationing business sysadmins, causing a seasonal vulnerability.

I see nothing like that this year.  And I am glad.  I'm sure there
are the usual mobs of clueless kids, and some localized messes to
clean up at some schools,  but the kids are not infecting the whole
internet with their carelessness.  Whether that is due to better
control by the sysadmins (at schools and elsewhere), a lack of new
viruses, or just dumb old luck, it is nice to see something going
right this year.

For those of you battling viruses as college sysadmins, thanks, you
are doing your job, whatever stuff you are seeing is not leaking out
significantly.  But please, it is not psychologically healthy to
downplay your own success in protecting the broader net.  Congratulate
yourselves on a messy job well done!

Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993