[PLUG-TALK] More Terri vs John.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Apr 6 21:09:37 UTC 2005

plug_0 at robinson-west.com wrote:

>    I better not disagree with you Russ ;-)

I have no idea what you are referring to there. It's obvious that we
disagree on more points than not.

>  I believe in free will.
>    I also believe that God knows everything.

And as I said, you don't see the contradiction in that, do you?

>  Terry Shiavo wasn't brain dead the whole time.

I realize that. I also realize that she should have been allowed to die
long before she was, as this was her wish.

>  You have a very narrow idea of
>    beauty if you think it's limited to physical appearance,

Where did THAT come from? Where did I refer to physical beauty? Or is
this a lame attempt at diverting the discussion in a different direction?

>  why argue with you?  When you die, your opinions will die
>    with you.

Not if there's a God... If I'm wrong, then I'm going to hell, and my
opinions will still be around.

If I'm right, then yes, my opinions that are not written down somewhere
(thank you google!) will die with me.

Of course, then there's the fact that the majority of the worlds
population is NOT christian, and the bible says that only those that
believe in God get to go to heaven. So the majority of the worlds
population ISN'T going to heaven.

Nice guy...

>    Myself, I prefer the way the the pope died over the way that
>    Terry died.

Pope: In pain, suffering wordlessly, as the paper said today. Mostly
cognizant until the end.
Terri: Unable to feel pain, died in her sleep. According to neurologists
who have studied brain death and the ability to feel pain.

>    If free will for you means doing the opposite of what every
>    higher power in the universe wants you to do, good luck
>    with that.  I guess that in God we Trust on the money
>    offends you, or am I wrong.

No, free will is simply the ability to make a decision. What you don't
understand is that if God already knows what you will decide, then you
aren't making a decision, you are following a pre-determined path and
that means you didn't actually decide. If what you claim is fact, then
you have an illusion of free-will, because your choices are already made
for you.

What is printed on the money makes no difference to me. It spends the
same. I happen to believe that people get entirely too uptight about
religion.

This discussion isn't even about religion. It's about free will and how
that concept is impossible if there is a higher, omnipotent being involved.

Russ