[PLUG-TALK] Re: PLUG-talk Digest, Vol 7, Issue 17

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Apr 15 07:31:33 UTC 2005

kl> The capital-free but heavily-initialled glen e. p. ropella writes:

glen> Hey, now... I may not be wealthy... But, I have some capital.

True, but if you wear a hat ...

Misc metaphysics versus physics deleted ... I guess we build our
references next to what we consider the most sturdy.  To me, symbols
are a construction of physical minds (for now, organic, later perhaps
mechanical) and as such I do not give them as much weight as the
physical stuff they are constructed out of.  My descriptions of the
physical stuff may be only approximate, granted, but that doesn't
mean that there has to be something better defined.   When you start
inventing certainties, dieties must be invented to contain them.

... and too much discussion deleted ...

glen> [grin] Shame on you for wielding these weapons so irresponsibly!  I
> charge you to slay a calf at the alter of G?del (make sure you burn
> it... you know how paranoid he is) and iterate 12 fractals in the
> temple of Lorenz!

kl> Howzabout I sleigh the calf at the altar?  I don't kill calves, but
kl> I will use them to get around!  And I am more attracted to Lorentz
kl> than Lorenz, though you have to c 1 to know 1.

glen> OK.  I suppose it is a bit unethical to murder animals just to worship
> a dead mathematician.  But, you still have to iterate the rosary.
> Well, I was referring to Edward Lorenz... Is there a controversy over
> how to spell Lorenz?  Isn't Edward the guy who did the weather
> modeling and such?  Anyway, that's the guy who gave a lecture at my
> college when I was an undergrad.  I just presumed it would be his
> temple, you'd have to do the IFS rosary at.

Yes, I am aware of Edward Lorenz (as well as Konrad, his misbehavioralist
namesake), to whom I am not strongly "attacted".  I was hinting broadly
at physicist Hendrik Lorentz (1853-1928),  the "John the Baptist" of
Einstein.  You now may notice a punnish reference to the units named
after him ...

Some people love the telescope, while others love the stars they can
see through it.  To me, math and logic are just observational tools,
and of interest only because of what they permit me to see of reality.
Sometimes people get confused and look through the tools backwards;
math and logic can carry you away from reality as easily as they carry
you towards it.  Color me obtuse, but I'm a stonekicker like Johnson.

kl> glen, it is always a pleasure.  Between the two of us, we make a
kl> whole wit ...

glen> Same to you.  I frequently LOL at your emails.  I'm not so sure about
> the wit thing, though... Does two half-wits add up to a wit?  I can
> only imagine Laurel and Hardy, here.

Nah - there is a little bit of destructive interference there.  Sometimes
we add up to 1, and sometimes to 0, depending on whether we are in phase
or not.  Note that I missed a theist day yesterday - taxes, and the spam
logs finally got big enough to fill up /var/log on my firewall.  40X
increase in 8 months ... time to hitch up the old woodchipper, and drive
off in search of some spammers ...