[PLUG-TALK] My motto: Good government or your Money Back.

GLL guy1656 at ados.com
Mon Apr 18 18:53:14 UTC 2005

: > Nice troll bait.
: >
: > As Paul said "They paid money for services unrendered."
:
:  I consider it unpatriotic to cause Multnomah
: county an expense for something that ultimately turned
: out to be illegal in the end and then demand a refund.

If it was illegal, then the county shouldn't have collected money for it in
the first place.

: Do these refunds signal that anyone can demand something
: from Multnomah County that will later be ruled illegal
: regardless of the cost to this county, a cost that its
: taxpayers have to pay?

My opinion is "Good Government or your Money Back." So, if the county took
money from these people and couldn't get them the 'service' or in this case,
to issue them an acknowledgment of a status which gives them certain legal
standings, then - just like returning a product to a store if it doesn't
perform as promised - people should be able to get their money back.

But I also think that, like purveyors of fraudulent goods (snake oil salesmen)
the perpetrators should or could be nailed for fraud - offering a product
which doesn't really exist - like a stock scam dealing in certificates of a
fictitious company. The investors may or may not get all their money back,
and a few of the ringleaders go to jail - where they can experience gay
'marriage' up-close and personal, I've heard.

The only thing that makes this case a little weirder than average is that the
government essentially promised people a legal fiction. Same-sex "marriage"
was not defined in the state constitution, and to 'discover' it from nothing,
like as was done in Massachusetts, is like the state of Indiana declaring
that their engineers must use '3' for the value of 'pi.' (This happened,
too.) Government can neither declare that pendulum clocks must gain several
minutes an hour, that the circumference of a circle of radius 'r' is equal to
that of a hexagon with sides of length 'r.'

In this case government overstepped its authority by trying to create and
enforce a belief that homosexual cohabitation is equivalent to marriage and
family upon its citizens who are mostly free to choose to believe otherwise,
and are still mostly free to put that belief into the practice of their
individual public lives as part of their 'pursuit of happiness."

: I would at least like to see Multnomah County be
: rational and not refund any fees related to the
: staffing and printing services that were used
: to produce these bogus marriage licenses.

I would like to see the cost of the bogusness centered on its perpetrators -
the four county commissioners should in some part be held personally
responsible, and the bogus 'spouses' should lose a small amount off the $60,
for trying to masquerade their associations as 'real' marriages. So maybe
partial refunds are in order, and four nice, solid, fines for 'delay of game'
or something.

But never in the case of an investment scam do you hear people saying that the
absconded funds should go off to support some other cash-strapped program.
The remains need to be returned to the victims - the people who paid money in
good faith to their government - unless *maybe* somebody can propose to
prove that the rest of society is somehow harmed by the presence of
homosexuals in their midst, and the collected funds need to go to heal the
rest of society. I have a feeling that some people would go along with this
notion, but I also think it could only hold true in a functioning and
democratically governed peaceful theocracy.

- GLL