[PLUG-TALK] Maps of Oregon

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Apr 18 23:19:07 UTC 2005

On 4/18/05, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    GIS, as a category, is as broad as saying Biology, Chemistry, or Computer
> Science. It encompasses many aspects. The core definition that used to be
> used is the storage and display of geographic data and its attributes to
> answer questions of what is where and where is what. To many users,
> particularly in government, GIS is making really pretty maps that show
> various "themes," "layers," or "coverages" such as used to be done with mylar
> overlays on paper maps.

The "layers" approach is the one I see the most often, but is only of
marginal interest to me at this point.  I'm much more interested in
terrain features, which is why your first post triggered my interest.
;-)

>    There is a lot more to spatial analyses using maps, and GRASS excels as a
> geospatial analytical engine. To understand how to use GRASS, I suggest the
> following:

>    Jeffrey Star and John Estes. 1990. Geographic Information Systems: An
> Introduction. Prentice Hall.

This one exists in the Multnomah County Library system (alas, only one
copy) so I will take a look at this book.  Thanks for the good tip!
(Sometimes the old books are better anyhow since they're easier to
find at libraries.)

  -- Steve