[PLUG-TALK] An a-ha! moment

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Dec 10 20:22:35 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    The concept of 'blogs' finally made sense to me when I read
Rich> in today's newspaper that blogs are today's version of Citizen's
Rich> Band radio, popular in the 1970s and 1980s. Now I understand
Rich> their popularity.

Funny, that's what I used to say about the WWW in the mid-90s when it
started to "become popular".  And yet, it obviously had utility beyond
its novelty.

Blogs are just a manifestation of individuals taking back their
freedom of expression (and, implicitly, the freedom to share that
expression) from the hoarding media conglomerates.  Freedom of
expression doesn't guarantee quality expression, but it makes quality
expression possible.

Naturally, the hoarding media conglomerates are horrified by anything
that might expand the narrow bounds of thinkable thought that they
wish to perpetuate (buy, consume, rinse, repeat), so anything bad they
say about blogs or wikis or other thought out of their control begins
with a presumption of grave doubt.

seniorr at aracnet.com