[PLUG-TALK] An a-ha! moment

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 10 21:18:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Russell Senior wrote:

> Funny, that's what I used to say about the WWW in the mid-90s when it
> started to "become popular". And yet, it obviously had utility beyond its
> novelty.

   So did a CB radio when you were stuck off-road in the boonies.

> Blogs are just a manifestation of individuals taking back their freedom of
> expression (and, implicitly, the freedom to share that expression) from the
> hoarding media conglomerates. Freedom of expression doesn't guarantee
> quality expression, but it makes quality expression possible.

   This holds for those who own the presses, too. Quality is independent of
medium but is related to the source.

> Naturally, the hoarding media conglomerates are horrified by anything that
> might expand the narrow bounds of thinkable thought that they wish to
> perpetuate (buy, consume, rinse, repeat), so anything bad they say about
> blogs or wikis or other thought out of their control begins with a
> presumption of grave doubt.

   Oh. Huh.

   I was not passing judgement on blogs, nor was I denigrating bloggers. I
expressed the opinion that comparing them to CB radio put them into a context
to which I could relate.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"