[PLUG-TALK] HR4569, the "Destroy Electronics in America Act"

Renegade Penguin renegadepenguin at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 05:12:46 UTC 2005

This really sounds like urban legend.  Federal highways are governed by
federal money.  It's one way that bills get through Congress - if you
don't do what is wanted, you get no federal highway money.

There are reciprocal laws regarding license plates and driver licenses
in all states.  Normal passenger and commercial vehicles (most pickups
are considered commercial) as well as driver licenses are honored in all
50 states.  For instance, car rental companies are governed by these
same laws, otherwise no car company in Oregon would rent to out of state
drivers.

Larger commercial vehicles like semis have "apportioned" plates - which
means that each vehicle under the apportionment agreement pays license
fees.  At the end of the year, the powers that be figure out which
vehicles were in which locales, and then the money is divided up among
the states proportionally to traffic.

I also read the online driver's manual and could not find trip permits,
tour permits, etc. regarding this issue.

And I travel between Washington and California, and have never hit this
issue.

Couldn't find it on Snopes either.

RP