[PLUG-TALK] Electrical Outlet Adapters

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 31 20:38:17 UTC 2005

   This is directed at you hardware/electrical engineering folks here. My
sister lives in an old apartment building in New York City. All the outlets
are the unpolarized, both-blades-the-same-size type. Nowadays, every
appliance has a polarized plug. No matter how hard she pushes, she cannot get
the wide blade in the narrow slot. :-) She also cannot file them down, change
the outlets, or do the other stuff that would make the solution easy and
permanent. To make matters worse, the ol' neighborhood hardware store that
was there since Peter Stuyvesant bought the island from the indians closed
last year. They used to carry adapters and all the other necessities for
living in old houses.

   Does anyone know of a source of a flat-blade adapter, from polarized female
end to non-polarized male end? I could not find anything on Google; they have
international adapters but not modern-to-old US adapters. Heck, if I could
find some non-polarized plugs I'd make adapters for her myself.

Happy New Year,

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"