[PLUG-TALK] Software Patents

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Feb 14 21:22:00 UTC 2005

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Russ Johnson wrote:
>
>> Jeme A Brelin wrote:
>>
>>> Trade secret law is nothing more than the abuse of state power on
>>> behalf of monied interests.  There is no public benefit whatsoever.
>>> Patent gives the public full disclosure in exchange for the
>>> restriction of natural rights (free implementation of ideas).  Trade
>>> secret has no such barter. The rights of the people are restricted
>>> for the benefit of a few.
>>

>> In plain english, I'd like to know why, if I know something, you have
>> a "right" to the information.
>

> I didn't write that I had any such right to your knowledge.  That's
> pretty absurd.

OK, I took "The rights of the people are restricted for the benefit of a
few." to mean that others have rights to information that I have.

>> Why should you benefit from my time and effort to gain said knowledge?
>

> I can't parse that sentence.

> How would I benefit to gain it?  Wouldn't I have to sacrifice to gain
> it? There's a wrong word in there somewhere or you put them in the
> wrong order.

No, you are applying the wrong noun. You benefit from the knowledge that
*I* expended time and effort to gain.

You gain it with little effort when it's given to you after the time and
effort have been expended by another.

Russ