[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] OT: Cellphone provider recomendations?

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.com
Mon Feb 28 22:05:34 UTC 2005

Brent Jones wrote:

> Off-topic, but I'm fed up with my current provider (ATT/Cingular)

"off-topic" means you really should've posted to plug-talk ....

> And I figured some people on PLUG are pretty mobile, and would have
> some other recomendations on cellphone providers.
> For the last two months or so, I've been getting tons of dropped
> calls, when I have perfectly good reception. Infuriating.
> And starting this weekend, people are getting "number disconnected",
> or straight to my voice mail, without my phone even ringing.
> So, its come to the point where I break my contract, and find a new
> provider.
> I've heard T-mobile is decent, as well as Nextel.
> But I was wondering what PLUGgers have experience with.

"can you hear me now?"  ... Verizon.
I switched last year, as soon as cell numbers became portable.
The only times I recall roaming charges are in Vancouver, B.C.
Of course, the clincher for my decision was the need for reliable
service in a few small cities in the southwestern US.   (I  took
an informal survey in one of the bars, and found out my two
choices were All-Tel and Verizon).
No real complaints with the service.  We've got two phones,
and something like 500 min/mo. shared between them, no long
distance charges in continental US, and plus unlimited night/weekend
for ~$70/mo.  Not a bad deal when I compare the number of
long distance minutes we use to what it used to cost with our
land line.