[PLUG-TALK] Jodie Foster (was: IDE swap ...)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jan 5 06:24:04 UTC 2005

In my writeup on IDE swap trays, I mentioned that a probable reason for
the kernel developers to remove IDE hotswap was "to impress Jodie Foster".

Bryan Murdock responded:
>  Jodie Foster?!?

This relates to a series of bad jokes current in the early 1980s.  An
obsessed lunatic named John Hinkley developed an infatuation for movie
star Jodie Foster, and decided that he would impress her by assassinating
a president.  He tried once for Carter, was too disorganized to follow
through, but in 1981 managed to put a non-fatal bullet into Ronald
Reagan.  For more information, see:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/hinckley/HBIO.HTM

So "to impress Jodie Foster" became a humorous excuse for any lunatic
public behavior, for example:

Q: Why did the Argentine generals invade the Falklands in 1982?
A: To impress Jodie Foster.

This may also be the motivation to remove IDE hotswap from the Linux
kernel.  Or it may be the voices...

:-)

Keith

P.S.  While I agree that Jodie Foster is still a hot babe, I imagine
she would be more impressed by IDE hot swap than the lack of it.
Kernel developers, please note!