[PLUG-TALK] Re: Clinic canceled due to ice

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 19 04:47:19 UTC 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 07:55 am, GLL wrote:

> : Dang, I was going to go today because the traffic's not bad, and
unlike
> : most of the Californian losers who moved here in the last 15 years,
> : *do* know how to drive in bad weather...
>
> Problem is, (or was) first, you will be hit by said losers, and
> second, this whole problem could have been vastly mitigated had the
> greenie-weenies not banned road-salt.

Actually, Sir Issaic Newton's usually pretty good about making sure
those losers find something vehicle disabling on the quick.  I really
wish they hadn't stopped building streets with a six-foot ditch between
the road and the sidewalk.  The ditch is a safety feature for
pedestrians and other motorists alike.

That being said, now that ODOT's used pea-gravel to knock a few hundred
holes in my paint job, you can pay for the body damage to my truck if
you want salted roads.

I just got back from Klamath Falls last night about this time and spent
12 hours on US-97 on the way down and back (left yesterday morning, got
back last night).  Once you get east of the cascades, they use pumice,
which works really well and doesn't rust the hell out of everything and
doesn't kill the roadside vegetation.  It also doesn't ding up your
paint job like the granite ball bearings they use on the westside do.
I wish they would use it on the west side.  My only complaint is that
the spray containing pumice dust becomes a thick, opaque paste on
windows mandating frequent, liberal application of washer fluid and
having to stop every hundred miles to clear the back window and my
truck now looks like a volcano took an ashy dump on my truck.

But it sure as hell beats peagravel or salt.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.dyndns.org
http://ursine.dyndns.org/~baloo/