[PLUG-TALK] fan speed control..

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Jul 2 04:29:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Brent Rieck wrote:
>  About a year ago I got a 2/3rds height fully enclosed rack cabinet, to
> stick all of my computers and their cables into for noise and aesthetics
> reasons.  About 8 months ago I finally finished painting it and
> installed my computers in it.  That was in the cool fall and it's
> sitting inside a cool basement where internal cabinet temperature never
> got above 80F which seemed to have no detrimental effects, and I loved
> how it looked and sounded (which was quiet.)  Now that summer is kinda
> here the internal temps are rising to 90-95F, which seems a little warm
> to me - so I installed a 700CFM AC powered fan I had laying around in
> the vent hole in the top of the cab.  I've yet to install a furnace
> filter in the slot provided on the bottom of the cabinet, I will soon.
> Now my cabinet is quite cool inside, a degree or two above ambient, but
> it's loud, MUCH louder than I'd gotten used to.

Should we assume that you've mounted the motor with insulating tape to
absorb the shock?  You can get some really padded stuff that will muffle
most of the vibration being transfered to the case.

If it's the whine of the motor itself, you can try lubricating the thing.
If not, get a motor built to be silent... preferably with speed control.

And get that filter in place soon.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin