[PLUG-TALK] Tiempo, cerveza, y comida de Panama[9] WAS: Art Institute of Chicago exhibit

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Jul 5 02:49:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Russell Senior wrote:

> I've experienced real heat and humidity before.  In this case, the
> humidity actually wasn't *that* bad.  Worse than here (ever), but less
> bad than it could have been.  Hawaii in July was worse.  Chicago was
> over 90F every day, upto about 95F.  Saturday evening was downright
> pleasant.  Temperature was the worse of the two.

I just got home from Panamá. I expected it to be "uncomfortable", with
temperatures in the high 80's/low 90's, 100% humidity, rain every day[1].

It wasn't all that bad[2]. Nothing a pint or two of Cerveza[3][4] couldn't
fix[8].

However, this trip does mark the first time I've been sun burnt during a
rain storm.

Near-the-equator lesson #1: ALWAYS USE SUN SCREEN, wear a big hat
Near-the-equator lesson #2: ALWAYS FOLLOW RULE #1, even on a rainy morning

The less-than-perfect weather and lager aside, the food was excellent.

-Eric

[1] The "dry" season is January & Feburary
[2] High 70's/low 80's, 50-70% humidity, only rained 25% of the time.
[3] When consumed with a gallon-of-water chaser
[4] Cerveceria Baru[5][6] brands in particular (Lager Alemana, Soberana),
     avoid the ill swill from Cerveceria Nacional (Balboa, Balboa Ice[7])
[5] Real hops, green bottles. On tap or can is best if you don't like
     it skunky.
[6] Cerveceria Baru contract brews for Guiness, Lowenbrau(CZ), Tecate,
     Sol, and Warsteiner, so those were all reasonable as well.
[7] If forced to drink something from Cerveceria Nacional, Balboa Ice is
     better than Balboa - as counter-intuitive as that may be.
[8] ¿Usted no bebe cerveza?  If you don't enjoy cerveza you will suffer only
     slightly longer than your companions. Every single meal I had there more
     than justifed the trip.
[9] Why won't pine let me insert an "á" in the subject line?