[PLUG-TALK] in case you nerds didn't notice ...

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Jul 8 08:03:31 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> writes:

Paul> How about a summary for the newspaper impaired?

Someone posted a link to the oregonlive version.  Unfortunately, it
has none of the pretty photographs.

Richard> Russell is the only member of the Oregon Wheat Growers League
Richard> from west of the Cascades.

Actually, a fair amount of wheat is grown on the west side.  The
reason the east side is more strongly associated with wheat is because
it is one of very few agricultural options there.  Unless you can
irrigate, it's dry-land wheat farming or cattle grazing.  Mostly the
latter.

Richard>  Not only that, but he's competing with Bob's Red Mill and
Richard> all the custom bakeries in town. Apparently quite
Richard> successfully, too.

As long as success is not measured in dollar signs, I'd agree.

Richard> Just goes to show that farming's always available, even when
Richard> the geek industry is not keeping everyone fully employed.

One clarification on the article, I was half-time not so much due to
geek industry parameters, but rather because of parenting parameters.
Although some mixture of the two would be most accurate.

There are a handful of minor errors in the article, but overall I am
quite happy with how it turned out.

Paul> [...] Russell is a success in the face of overwhelming defeat,
Paul> and more power to him for his success!

To put this in perspective, I farm 1/300th of an acre, and by my rough
calculations I have harvested a quantity of wheat with a value on the
world market of approximately 75 cents.  Total.  Over half a dozen
crop cycles.

But not everything is adequately measurable in monetary terms.

seniorr at aracnet.com