[PLUG-TALK] in case you nerds didn't notice ...

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Fri Jul 8 13:04:07 UTC 2005

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I wouldn't count on that.  Hard to break into farming if you're in
> this country legally or don't have the means to buy your own farm.
> Russell is a success in the face of overwhelming defeat, and more
> power to him for his success!

I would hardly call the illegals "broken into farming" ... they're what
are called "migrant workers" who are paid minimum wage (if that) to do
extremeley manual labor.

If you're here legally and want to do similar work, it is quite easy to
get employed.  If you have your tractor drivers license, you can
probably start driving a swather or combine this summer, even!  You'd
work 60 hour weeks without overtime, but still bring home a decent paycheck.

If by "break into farming" you mean own your own farm.... you'd have to
have enough money to buy or lease some land and equipment to work it.
There's really not much way around that.  ;-)

Rob