[PLUG-TALK] Google Earth

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Jul 11 01:08:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> Who knows, though, maybe we'll get a Linux version some day.  :-)
>
>  That's fine. I can certainly wait. If I really want satellite views I'll
> download the scenes from the EROS data center and do it myself.

Or point firefox to maps.google.com, which uses the same map data[1]
(but doesn't have same ohh-so-cool "flying" feature when paning from
  one place to another). I played around with this when earth.google.com
was announced and found that I could get exactly the same maps via either
earth.google.com and maps.google.com.

You might try earth.google.com under wine, it is just a single executable
if I remember correctly.

-Eric

[1] search for where you want to see, then click on the "Satellite" link
     on the top right