[PLUG-TALK] A Future in the Dell?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jul 12 13:14:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, AthlonRob wrote:

> Who actually calls customer service about things such as computers, anyway?

Rob,

   Probably those who get hardware that doesn't work.

   My first portable -- in mid-1992 -- was a Gateway 486/DX-25 designed and
built for them by Texas Instruments. The A/C connector on the power supply
was poorly designed and built; it failed after 13 months. The warranty, of
course, was 12 months. So, I paid to have the power supply replaced. It
failed again after another 13 months. Gateway admitted it was a defective
design and poor manufacturing, but I was stuck with the results. Never bought
another Gateway computer.

   The company's customer support made the appropriate noises and they did not
shut down their service. There are better ways of reacting to problems than
trying to hide them. However, ... not everyone takes the high road.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President      | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)  | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"