[PLUG-TALK] Do NOT extend the workplace smoking law

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Mar 9 05:51:50 UTC 2005

Paul Mullen wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:35:00PM -0800, Russ Johnson wrote:
>

>>Oh don't get me wrong. I understand that it's the owners prerogative
>>to allow smoking there, since it falls within the limits of
>>exclusion from the smoking laws. How's that for wording it
>>backwards...
>>

>Is that to say that you feel it's only permissible because there
>aren't enough people insisting that the owners be forced to disallow
>smoking in their private establishments?

Personally... I feel cigarettes and other tobacco products should be
outlawed entirely.

Either that, or drugs should be legalized and taxed.

In any case, no person has the right to do something that infringes on
another. Someone elses smoking has detrimental consequences on MY life.
If you operate a business, and you invite the public, it's not "private"
anymore. Especially when it comes to eating and/or drinking
establishments. There are already laws that govern how the food must be
prepared, how the dishes must be washed, the cleanliness of employees,
etc. Banning smoking simply makes it cleaner, and safer for the
employees and the customers.

Those that wish to smoke may go outside to do so.

Of course, I wouldn't have a problem with banning smoking to the inside
of ones house either. But that's just me, and about a million other people.

>>When you ban smoking, you are telling the majority (the non-smokers)
>>that they are welcome. As I said before, the smokers are a minority.
>>Fortunately, not a protected one.
>>

>No, when you ban smoking in a private establishment, you're telling
>the minority that their right to freely associate as they see fit is
>subject to the whims of the majority, and that their rights are
>subject to your ability to gather a big enough crowd to force your
>will upon them. That's pretty much the definition of anti-social
>behavior.

I consider someone foisting their smoke upon my person anti-social in
the extreme. I'm in a public place (defined as anywhere the public is
invited) and I must wade through smelly, foul air that makes my whole
body stink. I need a shower after lunch to just stand myself. THAT is
anti-social behavior.

My home is a private establishment. A restaurant or bar is a public
establishment, because the operator chooses to invite the public. At
that point, they also choose to abide by health and safety regulations.
Banning smoking is good for the health of everyone concerned. Including
the operators pocket.

Yes, the operator could choose to kick me out, but it's not likely,
since I'm not annoying anyone by breathing. On the other hand, the
smoker is annoying other patrons (something I would think the operator
would not appreciate) and their own body with their smoke. Again,
anti-social behavior in the extreme.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #14 (Collect all 25)
"There is a point beyond which even justice becomes unjust." - Sophocles