[PLUG-TALK] Advanced Directives

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 29 20:54:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> The testosterone-fueled pissing contests between the left and right
> aside  ...

   Well, we can discuss the underlying reasons, Keith, but I doubt that
hormones are involved. Egos, definitely. Politics, definitely.

> Current advanced directives can be found here:
> http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/shiba/resources/advance_directives.htm

   I've had one for more than a decade but decided to update it. Found a form
on the LawDepot site (paid $15 but I figure that's worth it) and will take it
to Troutdale City Hall tomorrow where they'll witness it (they have a notary
there although that's not necessary). They don't charge for the service for
us residents.

   I found a typo on their form; same word both on screen and in the
downloaded pdf file, but different wrong versions on each. Sent a report to
their tech mail address (they claim they'll pay $50 for errors and I'd like
to claim that for the typo) and just received a note saying it was forwarded
to the writer(s). They'll respond whether it's an error or not. Well, of
course it is.

   My recent research also showed that the Living Will (or Advanced Directive
for Medical Care) is more specific -- at least here in Oregon -- than is a
Durable Power of Attorney for Medical Care. But, we need only one and not
both.

   I'll second the recommendation that everyone fill out such a form. At the
very least it will keep you out of the newspapers when you cannot appreciate
the attention.