[PLUG-TALK] 6 million per year

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue May 3 06:36:42 UTC 2005

I am getting about 12 spam email attempts per minute to my server,
and it has been doubling every few months or so.  That is a bit
over 6.3 million attempts per year, and it will probably be up to
1 per second by the end of the year.  Thankfully, in most cases
the sender address does not resolve, and so the mail bounces before
it reaches the content filters and spamassassin (which needs tuning,
but gets about 140 residual spams per day and passes about 10 of
them).

Now I know the FBI is awfully busy these days helping Hollywood
prosecute teenagers for copying music, but I keep thinking that
at $250 a pop, that is 1.5 billion dollars a year the feds could
theoretically collect just dealing with MY spam - multiply that by
a million users or so and you could levy enough fines in a month
to seize the entire assets of most countries.  So why won't the
fibbies even answer my mail, when I locate the spammers for them?

Yah, I know the answer, but I needed to vent.