[PLUG-TALK] Brazil Encourages Others to Use Linux

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Thu May 12 01:49:07 UTC 2005

Paul Johnson wrote:
> The 95% figure is several years out of date.  Anybody running a web
> server with statistics can tell you that Microsoft's desktop share
> is, at best, 75%.

But how tech-oriented are the sites you host?

That will skew your results greatly.

For the month of May, some sites I host or share a server with those who
host:
Engineering/Legal site:		76.8% Windows
Slackbook.org:			48.8% Windows
Slacksec.org:			31.9% Windows
Slamd64.com:			44.3% Windows
Dynamic Boinc Stat Sigs:	87.3% Windows
logs.boinc-irc.com:		95.1% Windows
Friend's personal site:		87.6% Windows
jfgi.us:			85.9% Windows
groups.jfgi.us:			79.1% Windows
bbugs.axpr.net:			94.2% Windows
paste.axpr.net:			64.0% Windows
pat.axpr.net:			83.0% Windows
rob.axpr.net:			39.1% Windows
theabt.com:			92.9% Windows
boinctest.axpr.net:		68.1% Windows
boinc-irc.com:			84.5% Windows

Please note, some of those sites get a decent number of hits (~8000
unique visitors a month) and some of them get very few hits ("Friend's
personal site" has received six so far this month).  But the total hits
is probably over 50,000, as counted in the OS statistics.  It seems the
less technical or the less linux-specific you get, the more likely it is
you'll be getting quite a few more Windows hits.  However, even the most
Windows centric sites there (TheABT is The AOL Beta Testers SETI Team)
don't receive any 95% Windows.  I'd still put the number above 75%, if I
had to guess, though.

Rob