[PLUG-TALK] winWord Typeface

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 28 01:19:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, AthlonRob wrote:

> I use two spaces after a period.  It's how I was taught to type.. and
> not all that many years ago, either.  :-)

   Or, two periods followed by a space, eh?

> IMHO, it makes things clearer.  A bigger break in the brain.

   That's fine for a monospace typeface. However, look at any printed
document (newspaper, magazine, book, corporate brochure, etc.) that is set
in a proportional font and you'll not see two spaces after a period. Or,
after any other sentence-ending punctuation.

   It's as useful in today's writing world as a quill and ink well. FWIW, my
elementary school desks had holes for an ink bottle, and that wasn't all
that many years ago, either. :-) (We used paper, not papyrus, too.)

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)