[PLUG-TALK] winWord Typeface

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 28 04:15:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Ross Brattain wrote:

> It's always been the convention for input.  I've never typeset a
> publication, I've only typed input into systems.  How does the program
> tell that "Dr. Richard" isn't a new sentence without the two space
> convention, and how do you trigger line-wrapping otherwise.

   Try putting two spaces after a period in LyX. It won't let you do it. :-)
LaTeX also removes the extra spaces. Also, the European typographic
convention is to not put a period after titles unless they're ambiguous.
There's also a difference between \ldots and \textellipsis. It has to do
with spacing. Too subtle for me, and I don't get that anal about it. I leave
that for the publisher's TeXpert.

> Processed cheese is marvelous in it's own way.

   Well, ...! OK. :-)

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)