[PLUG-TALK] Completely OT - DVD Players

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Nov 29 06:52:15 UTC 2005

Since Plug Talk is for time wasting random chatter ... I figure
there are some gizmo junkies on the list with useful information.

I will be purchasing a replacement DVD player for my sister - her
old one failed.  I would like something simple, easy to use, and
highly reliable.  Since she has some vision problems, large
high-contrast easy-to-read buttons would be nice.  I don't need
a zillion connectors out, HDTV compatability is irrelevant, no combo
units (unless the VCR part is effectively free).  It would be nice
(but not mandatory) if the unit was region free, could read DVD-Rs
and CD-Rs, and could display JPEGs.   But it is most important that
the unit be easy to operate and robustly built.

OK consumer electronics fans.  Have at it.  What is well built?
What is scrap-in-a-box?  Are there good review websites where
they focus on quality, not on high feature counts?

Keith

(BTW, I am not a television watcher, so if there is something I
am missing from the feature set let me know)