[PLUG-TALK] discount book prices (was: My book)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 6 10:41:49 PDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Brent Rieck wrote:

> But how does a brand new book have such a discrepancy in price when it's
> only been on the market for a few days?

   There are resellers with virtually no overhead who buy from the
wholesalers, usually for less than we authors pay to our publisher, and they
sell at a deep discount. My book has a list price of $99.00 and I see it for
sale via amazon "partners" for less than $70.00. Shrug. More power to 'em. I
don't write for the royalties so the selling price matters to me only as a
reflection of how many potential readers actually buy my book.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"