[PLUG-TALK] DFW airport on google maps

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Apr 13 02:43:45 UTC 2006

Apropos of not much in particular, I was looking at the Google maps
satellite photos of Dallas-Fort Worth Airport and noticed the same
planes twice, one landing on runway 36L ( 36 means "pointed north"
to you non-pilots) to the west, and one landing on runway 35C on
the east side.  This suggests that the satellite taking the photos
is probably moving south-to-north, too, and we are looking at two
stitched together frames with a join somewhere across terminals C
and D.  Since the satellite is probably in a low orbit, moving about
8Km per second, one can probably compute frame rates and such for
the camera, if you are better at math than I am.

I don't see either plane on final approach from the south, though.
The frames are pretty big!