[PLUG-TALK] Novell Forks OO.o for Microsoft

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Dec 5 15:07:20 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   For those who care:
>
>         <http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061204130954610>
>
>   This will probably make some folks think hard about using SuSE or other
> Novell products.
>
> Rich
1. It does not surprise me.
2. I personally think OpenOffice.org is a piece of buggy slow junk and
use it only when there is no other alternative. Most of the time, that
alternative is Microsoft Office. So this has little practical effect on me.
3. I would expect to see some ugly IP lawsuits come out of this. It's
pretty obvious what Microsoft is up to -- they're protecting their
patents, especially in the area of multimedia. Now whether in the long
run that's a wise business strategy remains to be seen.

Perhaps the new Congress will take a good hard look at the patent system
and return it to what the Founding Fathers intended it to be. Outside of
that, though, I think we're stuck with a 9,000 pound gorilla on the home
/ business desktop. If we can keep that gorilla out of our scientific
workstations, I'll be happy. No SuSE is good news!

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/