[PLUG-TALK] World Domination 201

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Dec 31 11:34:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Larry Brigman wrote:
> I had to repartition the HD because of two things.  Running iTunes in
> wine on Linux and getting the wireless to work.
[snip]
Wireless with the
> It looks like the iTunes will run under wine but I have to things to get
> it to do everything that it would normally do under windows.

Is she actually using the iTunes store?  If not, she can use Banshee or
Rhythmbox which both have iPod support (and you can move songs OFF your
iPod onto your computer, which iTunes does not support).

There were, at one point, some tools for using the iTunes store, too, but
I have no experience with them.

[Yes, I read ESR's argument that this isn't good enough.  I don't buy it.
We can't let them have their DRM even in theory.  In fact, the "killer
app" for Free Software, if ever one is to exist, will be the freedom
itself.  I think Azureus and Banshee are a fine, fine replacement for
iTunes... and you're not getting roped into some license scheme or any
fees when you use them.]

> The install process can be fixed.  Look at Freespire/Ubuntu and any of
> the multitude of other LiveCD/DVDs Linux systems out there.  Even FC6
> can be automated so that it doesn't have to ask all those questions.

Two things:

First, remember that GNU/Linux "doesn't stop you from doing things that
are stupid because that might stop me from doing something that is
clever."  To me, this means that asking those questions is important
because it allows me to make customizations that are not
one-size-fits-all.  The option of an "advanced" installation routine
should always be there.

Second, no general purpose computing device can be secure and stable
without adequate administration.  Automating the system makes it more
likely that you'll have the kinds of problems that Windows has or that a
user will get hit with baffling messages about running out of space on a
filesystem without having the first clue what a filesystem might be.
There is no substitute for an administrator (or at least well-educated
user).

Granted, you still have some of the advantages of freedom, but Free
"Winblows" still blows.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin