[PLUG-TALK] Slow FTP connections to China

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Feb 13 19:24:32 UTC 2006

Today, I was FTP'ing a 3 MB file from a potential client in Shanghai;
it took over 10 minutes, a rate of 4.63KB/s .  This is a large
semiconductor company in China's most technical city - they should
have the best connections available.

While I hope to teach them about scp, for now I would like to make
FTP go faster, as we may be getting "interactive" soon.  Is there
a good way to speed up FTP over long links? ( current settings are
passive, binary.  Word file, chinese fonts, ugh! )

One would assume that Shanghai would have relatively fast links;
perhaps they are choked with spam.  Suggestions?