[PLUG-TALK] Waterproof USB Thumb Drives

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Feb 23 20:51:09 UTC 2006

>>>>> "John" == John Sechrest <sechrest at jas.peak.org> writes:

John>   To that end, applying this thinking to the USB fob, there are
John> some fundamental issues. When we did the Commerant vest release,
John> it was encased in epoxy or urethane goop. But to make it work,
John> there are no intrinsic openings to the outside. So the USB fob
John> by definition has intrinsic openings. This gives you several
John> problems. First, the pathway for water is short. This might by
John> possible to fix with a redesign of the connector. But none of
John> the existing fobs can be encased and be likely to work.

Maybe the solution is not trying to seal just the interior of the
keyfob, but just to have some kind of compact sealable container that
it lives in.  A dry-bag for your pocket, sort of thing.  Maybe a metal
tube with a threaded cap and o-ring might do the job.

seniorr at aracnet.com