[PLUG-TALK] surveys, tests, and personality types (was Rate Your Position on the Political Compass)

glen e. p. ropella gepr at tempusdictum.com
Mon Jan 9 20:56:23 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
> This reminds me that I once had a boss who pulled an all-nighter
> before taking a personality test, and he still flunked. Badly.

You need an emoticon... Perhaps we can come up with an ascii symbol that
looks like a snare drum?  How about "0>"?  The drum head's on the left
with the two sticks in the drummer's hands.

>> 2) They believe that tests should not carry such bias and the test
>> giver should do everything in their power to sterilize the test
>> before it's handed over to the common man.
>
> Gee, just like the political pollsters do, eh? If you want to see the
>  masters of the leading question, go to any political organization.

No, you'll have to notice the word "should".  There's a significant
difference between someone who thinks X _should_ be the case and someone
who thinks X _is_ the case.  Both Jeme and Keith have survived to mating
age and, thereby, demonstrated that they understand this difference.
"Should" and "do" are highly decoupled in the healthy, productive human.

> If you want to avoid all bias in questions, fire up Emacs and talk
> with the psychiatrist at the bottom of the Help menu.

I prefer M-x spook, myself.

electronic surveillance chameleon man Clinton White House SEAL Team 6
SP4 csystems Kennedy Consul dictionary top secret class struggle
subversive smuggle radar

I think we need to update the database, though.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                Hail Eris!
H: 503-630-4505                       http://ropella.net/~gepr